Wednesday, April 15, 2009


I finally gave-in around 6:30pm and filed for an extension. Both this year and last, I started writing posts regarding how to file your taxes as a blogger - specifically, as a blogger who writes sponsored posts and paid reviews. Both years, I got so caught-up and thoroughly confused that I never finished them. However, I also used the free TurboTax filing system and I can safely say it is to blame.

There are two places to enter expenses for your home office: as expenses or deductions. Now, I already know you can't list them in both categories, but I obviously want to get the biggest return I can without doing anything wrong enough to get me in trouble! So, once I find out the correct method - and the one that is going to get you the best refund - I'll be sure to post about it. I would have done all of this earlier, had it not been for a 1099 that didn't come in until mid-March.

But make no mistake about it, if you earn more than $400 blogging, the IRS wants to hear about it! I will be posting on my own attempts to run my blogs as a taxable business more the next few years, so you can hopefully learn from my success (and, God forbid, failures). In that regard, I guess this worked out the best for all of us, as I now have more time to find out what I'm actually doing and hopefully tell you about it.

© C Harris Lynn, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment